One of the reasons I like traveling with Sandy is that she will drag me to places I normally wouldn't visit. This time it was the White Mountain museum and gift shop in Fort Garland. It is an over-the-top kinda place that bombards you with signs, colors and clutter. The store offers trail rides, a petting zoo, a museum complete with Indian Hogan, a Marshal's office and blacksmith. Oh, and they also provide elk hunts and survival camps. Yeah, normally not my kind of place, not because of what they had to offer, I just figure that I prefer someone who is the best at what they do, not invested in every little whim.
This is Elisha giving us a museum tour. Above and below is the Indian Hogan. This is how the Navaho lived, in circular homes made of wood, mud and brush.
Here are the kids after the tour with our tour guide, Elisha.
Sandy and I learned a lot about the surrounding area and it's history. They also gave us tips on where to hunt for arrowheads.
____________________________________________
Another hike we took was up to Harrison Peak. We didn't quite make it to the top, but got close. The hike is in the back of the park and we had been warned that the trailhead was on someone's property that didn't like trespassing. In order to avoid his property and get to the trail we hiked another trail and then bushwhacked our way over. Because I didn't know the boundary lines of his property I just took a guess but failed. We stumbled across his game camera and salt blocks. While he may get upset about our mistaken trespassing I doubt he will say a word. Hunting in Forbes Park comes with a $5,000 fine and in the state of Colorado using salt blocks for big game is illegal. I think we are safe.
The trail was beautiful! It followed a small babbling brook up the mountain.
At the top (almost) we took our victory picture.





No comments:
Post a Comment