We were supposed to hike our mountain the next day but because I had been sick I asked if we could switch out our days and go off-roading first in hopes that I could recover in time to climb.
Susan and I took off with Sophie, Wyatt and Timothy in tow.
When Sandy recommend this mountain I got all excited about it's location. We had been here before two years prior but stayed in a different town. The San Juan Mountains are chock full of old roads, ghost towns and abandoned mines. The scenery is utterly magnificent with history around every corner.
Things start out simple, but we are going to the tops of those mountains in the distance!
This area is world famous and we were constantly being passed by dirt bikers, other jeeps and quads. As a matter of fact while in Lake City I challenged the group to find a sedan that wasn't a Subaru Outback. We saw one. We also saw a minivan. Every other vehicle was 4-wheel drive. The Jeeps, 4-wheelers and Quads out number any other vehicle in town. You were more likely to see a 4-wheeler at the gas station than a car.
We stopped for some pictures along the way.
We had a chance to drive into the American Basin which is where Sandy and I would be the next day attempting our summit.
Close to the top we stopped so the kids could play on the snow.
Here is Timothy sledding on his butt.







No comments:
Post a Comment