On Wednesday we visited the new Tiger exhibit at the Zoo with our friends the Sipps. They were pretty impressive and we even got to see one pounce on another (the tigers, not the Sipps). The Zoo had it all figured out and had a impromptu gift shop set up at the exhibit. My friend Sandy wanted to buy a stuffed tiger for Ella and when I told Nora I would not buy one for her Sandy offered to purchase a small one for Nora and a golf ball (with a tiger on it) for Nathaniel. A small voice in my head said to say no, but Nora was already in love with the "baby tiger" so I caved in. Big mistake! A half an hour later Sandy pointed out that Nora seemed to be wanting Ella's bigger tiger. I thought the two dollar upgrade was within my means and so I quietly snuck off to trade the "baby tiger" for the larger one that had the Velcro hands and feet. When I returned Nora was upset that she had gotten the big tiger and wanted her baby back. We tried to talk her out of it, but when it didn't work I had to own up to my mistake (costly as it was) and I offered to purchase a "baby tiger". I could have gone back to the gift shop again and traded one more time, but of course Nathaniel was at this time bonding with "big tiger" and I was just a little embarrassed about looking like a flaky mother who caters to every whim her child has. In the mean time Nora also said she wanted popcorn. I told her she couldn't have both a tiger and popcorn and would have to chose. She chose popcorn. I was ready to pull my hair out! My children will never again get a toy from any gift shop. Ever.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Too many Tigers!
On Wednesday we visited the new Tiger exhibit at the Zoo with our friends the Sipps. They were pretty impressive and we even got to see one pounce on another (the tigers, not the Sipps). The Zoo had it all figured out and had a impromptu gift shop set up at the exhibit. My friend Sandy wanted to buy a stuffed tiger for Ella and when I told Nora I would not buy one for her Sandy offered to purchase a small one for Nora and a golf ball (with a tiger on it) for Nathaniel. A small voice in my head said to say no, but Nora was already in love with the "baby tiger" so I caved in. Big mistake! A half an hour later Sandy pointed out that Nora seemed to be wanting Ella's bigger tiger. I thought the two dollar upgrade was within my means and so I quietly snuck off to trade the "baby tiger" for the larger one that had the Velcro hands and feet. When I returned Nora was upset that she had gotten the big tiger and wanted her baby back. We tried to talk her out of it, but when it didn't work I had to own up to my mistake (costly as it was) and I offered to purchase a "baby tiger". I could have gone back to the gift shop again and traded one more time, but of course Nathaniel was at this time bonding with "big tiger" and I was just a little embarrassed about looking like a flaky mother who caters to every whim her child has. In the mean time Nora also said she wanted popcorn. I told her she couldn't have both a tiger and popcorn and would have to chose. She chose popcorn. I was ready to pull my hair out! My children will never again get a toy from any gift shop. Ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love these stories! You're cracking me up!
ReplyDelete