Monday, October 9, 2017

Colorado

In August I had wanted to install the kitchen island while I was at the cabin.  It turns out that the local plumbers are in high demand and it would take 2 months to get someone out to re-route the kitchen sink plumbing.  So, I got and estimate and asked to be put on the schedule.  I was told it would likely be December before they could make it out.  But thankfully I got a call two weeks ago saying that they could get to it.  So, Chad took some time off and we headed to the mountains to install the island and enjoy fall.


There was quite a bit of wildlife, more than I have ever seen in the area before.  The elk and deer were everywhere.  Above is an elk herd.


We arrived after dark on a Wednesday night and the next morning while sipping coffee on the front deck we watched a bobcat catch and kill a squirrel.  The bobcat is to the right of the big post.


That same morning shortly after we saw the bobcat two birds flew into one of the windows.



One of them died.


Another was dazed enough to be carried around by Nora till it recovered and flew off.


One day we did some exploring and found the wild horses by a lake.



Did I mention the deer were everywhere?  In the evenings we would drive around looking for wildlife.  We called them "Forbes Park Safaris" and played games to see who could spot the most.  Chad held the record for 6 herds of deer spotted in one drive.


The deer know they are protected and can't be hunted here so you can get quite close.  The elk are much more skittish.  



Check out that bull elk in the front!


No comments:

Post a Comment